One Week Post First Dose of the Covid Vaccine

by - April 05, 2021

With lupus I was eligible to receive the vaccine as soon as it was available in NYC. But I was very hesitant. There was really no clinical data on people like me and I was scared of the what ifs. So, I decided to wait it out for a couple of months. In between that time, I talked it out with my doctors, asked other people with chronic illness what they did, researched online,  etc. 


After 3 months of going back and forth,  I finally decided to get the vaccine. Yes there is still a lot of uncertainty. But I was tired of always staying home.  Not seeing my family and friends.  This vaccine was one step closer to normalcy.

The night before my appointment I really couldn't sleep well. I was beyond anxious. I just kept thinking about all the what ifs. Luckily my fiance and I scheduled our appointments together so he was able to calm my nerves.  But I was beyond nervous. 

Once we got to the hopsital,  it was surprisingly super quick. We already prefilled some paperwork and within 5 min we were called up. The doctor explained we were getting the Pfizer vaccine and the side effects that we might experience. After the explanation, I rolled up my sleeve and got vaccinated. There was a sigh of relief. I was proud I did it. We waited 15 min for observation and luckily I didn't feel anything. 

But after an hour I started to feel my arm get super sore and then the body aches kicked in. I mainly felt the aches in my lower back and my thighs. Luckily the pain was tolerable. I called out of work the next day though.  Two nights in a row of restless sleep so I was super fatigued. 

The soreness and body aches lasted for about 4 days.  I was thankful that was all that I had experienced. 2 more weeks until my second dose. I'll be even more anxious for that since I heard the side effects are worse the second time around. But overall I am really relieved I got it.

Have you gotten the covid vaccine yet? If so which one? Any side effects?

XOXO,
Geri



You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I am very afraid and have many questions about this vaccine, just like you have already postponed my appointment cause all of my ifs, and the biggest doubt is that the vaccine is not clinicly approved for people with chronic illness, some people are saying go ahead do it, some says no be careful, all I want is me to be ok and just wake up one day ready to make my appointment, with your experience with the vaccine I made myself think more, thank you for sharing your experience,I am glad that the vaccine did not cause you much harm,hope I'll get my appointment soon I just need to feel confident and just have peace in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got it! I had the moderna in Jan & Feb and I'm so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete